Memorial Day is right around the corner, which means many people will be preparing for the unofficial start of summer - finalizing vacations and planning cook-outs. But more importantly, Memorial Day is a time to honor those who have lost their lives for our country.
BBB's Military Line provides free resources, such as financial literacy information, access to BBB services, Scam Alerts, and complaint and dispute resolution for all branches of the U.S. military.
Unfortunately, scammers use this time of year to take advantage of victims in a variety of schemes with a patriotic or military approach. The Better Business Bureau wants consumers, donors, and military persons alike to be aware of potential scams.
BBB warns of the following scams that are directed at service members:
- High-priced military loans
- Veterans’ benefits buyout plans
- Fake rental properties
- Misleading car sales
- Expensive life insurance policies
BBB recommends the following tips to avoid scams:
- Do your research.
- Don’t wire transfer money to anyone you don’t know
- Protect your computer
- Put an Active Duty alert on your credit reports when deployed
BBB recommends the following tips before making a charitable donation:
- Get the charity’s exact name
- Be wary of heart-wrenching appeals
- Check website for basics.